Our client — a leading global insurance firm engaged in providing insurance brokerage and consulting services with a market cap of over $10 billion — faced a similar scenario when they decided to decommission their existing Policy Administration System (PAS). One of the most critical and compliance-related steps in the effort was migrating all policy related documents to a new secure centralized repository. Some of their key requirements were:
- Completing a migration activity of over 1,000,000 policy related documents to a centralized repository.
- Completion of the one-time migration activity in a time-bound manner.
- Keeping the workflow extensible to cater to any other systems in the future.
With their existing migration plans, our client faced the following challenges:
- Manual migration of over a million policy documents would mean recruiting 1-2 FTEs for what was just a repetitive task. With humans anchoring the migration, the average time to migrate a document stood at around 25 seconds.
- At this pace, there was a potential threat of having to renew the existing PAS’s license for another year, which would have proven costly (over $100,000) and unnecessary. A delay in decommissioning the existing system was not in the client’s business interest or aligned to its business strategy.
The RPA experts at Imaginea proposed a RPA solution that would help the client migrate the policy documents within the decommissioning time-frame efficiently.
How our solution helped
Savings in license
The entire process of locating the policy documents was automated using the UiPath Studio RPA tool. The input data required by the bot to locate the documents was fed through an Excel to the UiPath Orchestrator (a component of UiPath automation architecture). The bot used this data sequentially and navigated the system’s user interface and migrated all the documents to the centralized repository.
The following diagram presents an architectural overview of the RPA solution implemented and how it works:
Here are the steps involved in the process:
- The Excel with input data is first uploaded to the UiPath Orchestrator.
- The bot picks each queue item and begins processing.
- Once the processing is done, the bot locates the apt policy and document from the existing PAS.
- The bot updates the status report in an Excel before moving the printed document to a local folder.
To provide visibility in the success of the automation, the bot also logged each task that was processed so that business stakeholders could view the success percentage of the automation journey.
Our solution was not only able to complete the document migration within the stipulated time-frame but it also migrated more than 1,000,000 policy related documents to a centralized repository. Additionally, the plug-and-play nature of the solution was such that it could be easily extended to any other system to perform similar automation tasks effectively.
- There was a reduction in the average handling time from 25 seconds/ doc to 12 seconds/ doc.
- The automated solution not only averted pitfalls associated with a manual effort involving FTEs but also helped the client meet their timelines to decommission the PAS.
- The solution also helped the client avoid potential license renewal costs of the existing PAS that ran over $100,000.