The client’s DCS was a legacy mainframe-based application. In addition, the existing vendor was not planning for any future upgrades as they were about to withdraw their support service. Given the criticality of the DCS, any downtime or outage during modernizing efforts would impact the business operations, and potentially cost the client’s reputation.
Other challenges were:
- No real-time synchronization and free flow of data between Reservation System (RES) and the DCS resulting in loss of revenue or issues related to overbooking.
- Building a new system meant getting certification from a myriad of airport partners across the globe, resulting in huge delays and management effort.
- Exponential efforts were required for developing new features on top of the existing system.
We, at Imaginea offered to build a micro services-based integration platform, along with data pipelines. We built various connectors to communicate and integrate with different systems like APP, TIMATIC, E-Ticketing, and Pricing. Further, the system incorporated all the standards, policies and procedures mandated by various airport authorities, and surpassed the benchmarks and SLAs set for various operations like check-in and boarding.
This delivered solution offered a rich GUI-based application that provides seamless integration with industry standard applications/ services, with extensive report generation capabilities. It comes with messaging services with IATCI and BSM standards that enable Type A and Type B messaging with other airlines.
How our solution helped
Our application design reduced the overall capital expenditure by 50% and the rich GUI resulted in close to 75% reduction in check-in and on-boarding time.
Our approach was to build a solution that delivered a consistent user experience. To achieve this, we built portable apps and made use of micro-services architecture.
Portable apps: The strategy was to build once and use it in multiple platforms. We built:
- Portable apps to make the application work on multiple platforms such as Window Presentation, Windows Universal Apps and Xamarin mobile apps.
- Reusable micro controls, which can work on multiple platforms (Example: flight seat map control).
Microservices architecture: To enable platform services, we built
- Core platform services for different internal apps and vendors to consume and produce data.
- Messaging platform services to integrate seamlessly with internal apps and airline network.
- Common schedule engine to automate flight schedule, manage flight information and all related operations.
- Integration framework to work on external airline apps like load control and integration with ground network apps.
- Connector framework to integrate with any third-party airline industry connectors like APP, TIMATIC and E-Ticketing.
Our reusable worklets approach led to:
- Ease of use
- Better control over the new features
- Reduction in the overall capital expenditure
- Easy access to real-time reporting data
- Single app for accessing different modules like Check-In, Boarding, Flight Controller, Load Control, Reporting