Imaginea proposed to automate most of the mundane, internal DevOps tasks with Continuous Delivery (CD) and Continuous Integration (CI) automation. The solution is to accelerate the software delivery process with a Private Cloud implementation. The proposition was a plan to automate DevOps activities with a five-step iterative sprint process progressively.
How our solution helped
37% YoY engineering cost reduction and 20% time reduction to market new features.
One of the key approaches identified was to automate DevOps tasks. For this purpose, Imaginea used Razor, an infrastructure provisioning toolkit to provision the hardware/software environment required to handle app development infrastructure requests and real-time requests.
Automating these tasks helped organizations in configuring infrastructure that is free from errors and accelerating the build, deploy, test, and release processes.
Automate app development infrastructure requests
- Manual processes in moving applications between different stages of application development (Dev/Testing/UAT/Production) were completely automated using Puppet IT and Ansible automation software tools.
- For Staging/Testing/Production system with low loads (such as websites), Ansible-based scripts were used to automate the application movement.
A puppet was used to manage node deployment and configuration change management.
- We added templates for standard service requests to the self-service portal, which can be accessed by the developers. Non-standard requests were processed through an inline approval process, as shown in the diagram, given above.
Real-time automation requests
To automate the infrastructure expansion in real-time, for complex applications, we created custom scripts in Puppet. Imaginea scripted the Tags, Policies, and Models in the Razor application to suit the client’s needs.
- Reduced standard infrastructure setup and configuration time from 8 hours to 15 minutes
- Reduced non-standard infrastructure setup and configuration time from 2 weeks to 3 hours
- YoY engineering cost reduction of 37% was achieved from asset reuse, saving workforce for installations and configurations
- Time to market for new features reduced by 20% from 2 months